News from South By South West SXSW
Video: What is Web 2.0?
– Web 2.0 is a fantasic area to bluff since no one knows what it means anyway.
– We will have you talking like Jason Fried in a few minutes.
– We will have you create a company that Yahoo will buy.
Four aspects of Web 2.0
– supports social interaction
– encourages user participation
– enhanced user experience
– and open data.
Must use handy buzzwords
– tipping point
Popular Web 2.0 apps (some): flickr, technorati, plazes, Yelp, Meebo, twitter. There is a great Twitter drinking game.
– Shows Carbonmade as a perfect Web 2.0 app – loads of colors and gradients and illustrated icons, lots of use of transparency and rounded corners.
– Everything is wet in web 2.0
– 3-D logos are where it’s at
– Throw in your favorite typeface when you are out at a party
– With Web 2.0 it’s all about giving A-list geeks toys. You should have microformats, rss, APIs.
– Two kinds of APIs, simple kind is called REST, the tougher alternative is SOAP
– Two APIs = mashup
– Most common mashup uses maps = most common one is the ChicagoCrime.org, shows overplot and Gawker stalker
– Must have Ajax’y goodness – use moo.fx for quick tutorials
To build a good Web 2.0 app you need:
– Drop the e in any er words
– You could use .us or .tv
– Sub domains rock!
– Add “get” in front
You need a cool logo
Then setup a mysterious homepage and a blog to talk about everything around the app
Then you think of a concept
– Think of an old idea, add tagging and social network = flickr
– Take a site like Digg or YouTube and make another one
– Put two apps together: Digg plus Flickr = Dickr
– Build it on the cheap
– Hire a 15yr old cheap kid – pay in pizza
– Spend all money on the design
– Demo – pay for a demo at a large conference
– Wait for Yahoo or Google to buy you – use the bluffing tactics in the parties
Social side of Web 2.0
– Starts with the wisdom of crowds book
– The greater internet f***wad theory = normal person + anonymity + audience = f***wad
– You want community – like a lunatic asylum
– Loves Milk & Two
– Must have ratings for the social network
– Must have tagging
– Must have bookkeeping
– Must have comments