Buddy Media’s Michael Lazerow delivered a fantastic talk at LeWeb11 on the latest trends for Facebook Pages, and Michael highlighted some of the best ways brands are currently using Facebook to engage with people and grow their business. The entire video is well worth watching and Michael’s deck from the talk is also available in this post. I have highlighted my own notes in bullet form which you can read below.
- Facebook is massive – 850M active users on one global platform
- 50% login everyday
- 94% of digital marketers focus on Facebook
- 9M businesses have a page on Facebook
- Successful brands are dominating the wall and publishing to it with a purpose
- Increases in engagement, lead to increases in impressions which then lead to more engagement. This is Facebook’s virtuous cycle.
- Tie your posts to what is going on in the real world – Break news!
- Keep status updates short, with a simple Call to Action (CTA)
- Simple CTAs are very important, tell your consumers what you want them to do! Don’t make users think
- Use photo galleries and put the CTA in the photo itself
- Success depends on understanding Facebook metrics.
Confused about the metrics? Just look at what Facebook SAYS is important.
If Facebook says its important, then then they are optimising it against their algorithms
- How many people are engaging on your page? “Talking about this?” There are people who have created a ‘story’ in the last seven days (comments, likes, responses to events, most commented posts, answered a question, mentioned your page, tagging your page, checked in, etc)
- Look at impressions, how many people saw your post though the organic news feed? How many people saw your page through paid media? How many people saw your page through viral actions e.g non fans, who your post through your friends actions?
- Coupons work! – coupons are the most engaging word on Facebook
- Lots of brands are using exclusive content – even if it’s non fan gated (Share this with friends and we will reveal something exclusive)
- Like-Gate content and vote!
- Like our page to get access to the event, or content FROM the event
- If you are having events, invite people THROUGH Facebook
You can also see the panel discussion that followed Michael’s talk – Going beyond creating a Facebook page which is also well worth watching.